Dungeonslayers > English

Druid questions

(1/4) > >>

DoubleA:
Well, as it appears that we've migrated over here (kind of), I thought that I'd post a few questions.  I played 3.5 back when but finally get the chance to play in the 4.0 rules!

Regarding Druids, and the Beast's Strength talent, the English version has it as Druid 10 (V) but the description doesn't say "per rank."  I'm reading it as it *should* say that - thus giving a +10 to combat values if maxed.  The German version *does* appear to say "per rank" (Kraft der Bestie: Pro Talentrang) which would make sense.  Can anyone confirm?

Also, regarding the phrase "all combat values" I'm taking this to mean all the derived values as listed at the beginning of the book (HP, DEF, INIT, MOV, MAT, RAT, SPC, TSC) meaning that some of those values are going to get fairly high.  Can anyone confirm?

Also, regarding the different forms, all say "all gear is included in the transformation and any magical bonus will continue to take effect."  Does this mean that any bonus to magical AV or magical weapon bonus will carryover?  It reads like it does.  For example, I'm carrying a +1 quarterstaff and wearing +2 robes.  When I change to wolf, my MAT and DEF changes to that of a wolf but I still get the magical +1 bonus to attack and magical +2 to DEF.  Can anyone confirm?

More questions as time warrants.  Kind of hoping that CK or Dargndorp are still around.

DoubleA:
Regarding Animal Form (versus Bear Form and Eagle Form), there is specific mention that "He does not gain any special attacks such as snake venom."  Does this extend to *all* special attacks and abilities?  A possible shapeshift example is that of a wolf.  The wolf has a special abilities Charge, Natural Weapons, and Nightvision.  Those seem like they would be ok but I'm looking for a good way to tell what's ok and what isn't.

As a further example, if shapeshifting into a Giant Snake, poison wouldn't work but would Entangle and Natural Weapons?

ninja edit: the German version (at least through translate) reads like you can't shapeshift into a poisonous creature.  That would mean the special attacks for wolf / bear / eagle would still be ok.

Second question - when the form is taken, does the animal have to be declared and then cannot be changed OR is it that the druid can shapeshift into any animal as long as it meets the size requirements?  The talents read slightly differently with Animal Form suggesting it's not a specific animal, Bear Form suggests that it is only one animal that has to be chosen when the talent is taken, and Eagle Form suggesting that it can be any flying creature Eagle or smaller.

DoubleA:
Another one.  All the animal forms say that you can't cast spells while in animal form.  What about if you take the 2 ranks in Expertise so you don't need the verbal / somatic component?  You already keep the MND / AU / INT of the mage when switching.

CK:

--- Zitat von: DoubleA am 02. Januar 2016, 00:29:23 ---Well, as it appears that we've migrated over here (kind of), I thought that I'd post a few questions.  I played 3.5 back when but finally get the chance to play in the 4.0 rules!
--- Ende Zitat ---
:thumbup:

--- Zitat ---Regarding Druids, and the Beast's Strength talent, the English version has it as Druid 10 (V) but the description doesn't say "per rank."  I'm reading it as it *should* say that - thus giving a +10 to combat values if maxed.  The German version *does* appear to say "per rank" (Kraft der Bestie: Pro Talentrang) which would make sense.  Can anyone confirm?
--- Ende Zitat ---
Confirmed!

--- Zitat ---Also, regarding the phrase "all combat values" I'm taking this to mean all the derived values as listed at the beginning of the book (HP, DEF, INIT, MOV, MAT, RAT, SPC, TSC) meaning that some of those values are going to get fairly high.  Can anyone confirm?
--- Ende Zitat ---
Jip, these are the correct values and they can (and should) get so high if someone puts so much talentpoints in it ;)

--- Zitat ---Also, regarding the different forms, all say "all gear is included in the transformation and any magical bonus will continue to take effect."  Does this mean that any bonus to magical AV or magical weapon bonus will carryover?  It reads like it does.  For example, I'm carrying a +1 quarterstaff and wearing +2 robes.  When I change to wolf, my MAT and DEF changes to that of a wolf but I still get the magical +1 bonus to attack and magical +2 to DEF.  Can anyone confirm?
--- Ende Zitat ---
Yes, that's the plan.

--- Zitat von: DoubleA am 02. Januar 2016, 05:35:06 ---Regarding Animal Form (versus Bear Form and Eagle Form), there is specific mention that "He does not gain any special attacks such as snake venom."  Does this extend to *all* special attacks and abilities?  A possible shapeshift example is that of a wolf.  The wolf has a special abilities Charge, Natural Weapons, and Nightvision.  Those seem like they would be ok but I'm looking for a good way to tell what's ok and what isn't.
--- Ende Zitat ---
All abilities gained by the natural body (strength from a bear) should be granted, but not special abilities the transformed body of the character couldn't produce too: His arms can grow like a bear's ones but his teeth can develope a poison, because they normaly cannot do it. Hope this helps.

--- Zitat ---As a further example, if shapeshifting into a Giant Snake, poison wouldn't work but would Entangle and Natural Weapons?
--- Ende Zitat ---
Yes!

--- Zitat ---ninja edit: the German version (at least through translate) reads like you can't shapeshift into a poisonous creature.  That would mean the special attacks for wolf / bear / eagle would still be ok.
--- Ende Zitat ---
But you can - don't thrust e-translators ;) And poisons don't work regardless of the animal.

--- Zitat ---Second question - when the form is taken, does the animal have to be declared and then cannot be changed OR is it that the druid can shapeshift into any animal as long as it meets the size requirements?  The talents read slightly differently with Animal Form suggesting it's not a specific animal, Bear Form suggests that it is only one animal that has to be chosen when the talent is taken, and Eagle Form suggesting that it can be any flying creature Eagle or smaller.

--- Ende Zitat ---
You can always choose any other animal, it's not fixed while buying the talent.

--- Zitat von: DoubleA am 02. Januar 2016, 16:27:41 ---Another one.  All the animal forms say that you can't cast spells while in animal form.  What about if you take the 2 ranks in Expertise so you don't need the verbal / somatic component?  You already keep the MND / AU / INT of the mage when switching.

--- Ende Zitat ---
Absolutely correct - with the talent you can.

Chrysophiles:

--- Zitat von: CK am 03. Januar 2016, 04:56:33 ---
--- Zitat von: DoubleA am 02. Januar 2016, 16:27:41 ---Another one.  All the animal forms say that you can't cast spells while in animal form.  What about if you take the 2 ranks in Expertise so you don't need the verbal / somatic component?  You already keep the MND / AU / INT of the mage when switching.

--- Ende Zitat ---
Absolutely correct - with the talent you can.

--- Ende Zitat ---

Are both talents needed to be able to cast at all, or is one of them sufficient to be able to cast at -4?

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln